The CHD was a closed freight wagon built for the Hollandsche IJzeren Spoorweg-Maatschappij (HSM) and the State Railways (SS). From 1879 to 1919 several thousand of these standard closed wagons were built. Initially the wagons were delivered without brakes. Later versions received different types of brakeman's cabs.
With the founding of the Dutch Railways (NS) interest group, the cars were transferred to the Dutch Railways (NS). From 1923 they were painted in the dark grey colour from their original brown. In 1936 various series of the CHD got a longer wheel base, 5 instead of 4 meters. In 1954 the Dutch Railways introduced the red-brown colour for freight wagons. Many CHDs remained in service unchanged until the early 1960s.